86-1051660414 & 86-13910684455

service@beijinglandscapes.com

BeijingLandscapes
Home > > Beijing Guide > > Imperial Collage

Imperial Collage

the archway of GuozijianThe Guozijian (Imperial College) is located in the Guozijian Street, Dongcheng District, immediately to the west of the Kongmiao (Temple of Confucius), a typical layout according to the Chinese ancient architectural rule, which indicates that the institution should be built on the right while the Temple of Confucius built on the left. It was recognized as the highest official institution of learning during the Yuan, Ming and Qing dynasties. The Guozijian was first constructed in 1287, the 24th year of Yuan Emperor Zhiyuan's reign, and subsequently enlarged several times, attaining its present dimensions, more than 1 0, 000 square meters in area, during the reign of Emperor Qianlong of the Qing Dynasty.

 

Imperial College

Comprising of three well-arranged courtyards and cocooned by luxuriant vegetation, the Guozijian has such main buildings as Jixianmen (Gate of Assembled Virtue), Taixuemen (Gate of Highest Scholarship), glazed arch, Biyong(Jade Disc Hall)and Yiluntang (Ethics Hall), of which Biyong is the core building in Guozijian.

Biyong was a national college built by the emperor of Western Zhou the gate of GuozijianDynasty, Surrounded by water on four sides, it was once a stage for the emperor, and was used exclusively by him. Standing in the center of Guozijian, the Biyong was constructed in 1784, or the 49th year of Qing Emperor Qianlong's reign. It is a square wooden structure with a double eaved pyramid roof covered with yellow glazed tiles. The top of the hall is crowned by a gilded ball. The Biyong stands in the center of a circular pond, which is crossed by four marble bridges and fenced by the white stone banisters. There are four stone spouts in the shape of dragonhead on the banks of the pool. It was here that Qianlong came to expound the classics to an audience composed of civil and military officials from the imperial court and students of the Imperial College in the 50th year of his reign. Thereafter, emperors Jiaqing and Daoguang also came and gave lectures in Guozijian.

There are 189 engraved stone tablets with 630, 000 Chinese characters on Shisanjing (Thirteen Classics)in the passageway between the Guozijian and Kongmiao. These characters were written by Jiang Heng, a senior scholar from Jiangsu Province in the Yongzheng's Period, for 1 2 years, and carved in stones by Qianlong's order. The tablets were placed here in 1 794, the 59th year of Qianlong's reign.

 

Guozijian Tour

During the tour to Guozijian, tourists may learn more about the history and also could pay a visit to the famous Temple of Confucius at the same time. The experience here will leave a deep impression on your mind.