86-1051660414 & 86-13910684455


Home > > Beijing Guide > > Wugong Temple

Wugong Temple

The Wugong Temple was built during the reign of Emperor Wanli in Ming Dynasty (1368-1644AD). And it was renovated on several occasions during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911).Gate of Wugong Temple It is located between Haikou City and Qiongshan City in Hainan Province, five kilometers away from Haikou City. Now the Wugong Temple is one of the famous historic relics in Hainan Province.

Wugong Temple

The existing Wugong Temple covering an area of about 2,800 square meters (about 0.69 acres) is an attractive ancient architectural complex that consists of the Wugong Temple (Five Officials' Temple), the Sugong, Hairui and Fubo Temples, and Guanjia Tang (Watching Crop Hall), and Xuepu Tang (Studying Hall). 

The main part of this complex is Wugong Temple which is considered as "the No.1 Building in Hainan" even though it is only a two-storied wooden building. This was to commemorate the five famous officials- Tang Prime Minister Li Yude, Song Prime Minister Li Gang, Li Guang, Zhao Ding, and a famous official named Hu Quan who were banished to Hainan during the Tang Dynasty (618-907) and the Song Dynasty (960-1279). The main hall houses the vivid and lifelike stone statues of the five prestigious officials. Visitors could learn about the background of the five officials from two much praised couplets on the inner pillars. Additionally, a stone tablet that is carved with calligraphy inscriptions of Emperor Huizong, from the Song Dynasty, is also displayed in the Wugong Temple.

Sugong Temple built for Sudongpo, located in the east of the Wugong Temple, is another fascinating destination. Su Dongpo was one of the greatest poets of the Song Dynasty. He dug two springs for the locals when he heard that there were some troubles to get water supplies. Hence the local people constructed the temple to commemorate his contribution to their community. One of the springs still exists today. The temple also contains some history of the Dongpo Academy. After Su Dongpo died in 1101, the people inscribed in the place where he had lived as "Dongpo's Reading Palace" to commemorate the poet. Later, a school was built for learning and it was named the "Dongpo Academy", which was one of the earliest academies in Hainan history. Throughout the reign of the following dynasties, many famous and talented students graduated from the acadmy. In 1899, the academy was closed down.


Wugong Temple Tour

During the Wugong Temple Tour, tourists could also visit  a peaceful yard where fresh flowers and thriving trees are planted. There are two main buildings inside the yard. One is the Xuepu Tang, where the famous scholar Guo Wanxiang often gave lectures. The other is Wugong Jingshe where the students of the Hainan Province learned historical works and poems.


Recommended Tours

Customers who are interested above attraction like following tours