86-1051660414 & 86-13910684455

service@beijinglandscapes.com

BeijingLandscapes
Home > > Beijing Guide > > Ruins of St. Paul

Ruins of St. Paul

Ruins of St. PaulThe Ruins of St. Paul (also known as Sam Ba Sing Tzik) refers to the facade of what was originally the Cathedral of St. Paul, a 17th century Portuguese cathedral in Macau dedicated to Saint Paul the Apostle. It stands adjacent to the famous Mount Fortress and Macau Museum. Now the front facade and the grand stone stairs are the only remains of the greatest church in Macau. And the ruins are one of Macau's most famous landmarks.

First constructed in 1580, St. Paul's Church caught fire in 1595 and 1601 respectively. However, reconstruction began in 1602 soon after the church was burnt down. Completed in 1637, the church became the biggest Catholic Church in East Asia at that time. Unfortunately, a violent typhoon hit Macau in 1835 and the church caught fire for the third time leaving its glory a history. According to historical materials, St Paul's Church, built with white stones, had a grand vaulted roof. It had three magnificently decorated halls.

Built with granites, Sam Ba Sing Tzik has a baroque facade rich in ornamentation but with classic oriental characteristics. From the bottom up, Ruins of St. Paul has five tiers. The first tier is comprised of ten Ionic columns with three entrances. The entrance in the middle has 'MATER DEI' carved into it. The two entrances on each side are decorated with bas-reliefs in the pattern of 'HIS'. The second tier features ten Corinthian columns with three windows. A Catholic saint is enshrined in each of four tabernacles between columns. The two tiers as a whole is said to represent the Society of Jesus and the activities of missionaries.

The remaining three tiers of Ruins of St. Paul are the most decorated. The statue of Madonna stands in the middle of the third tier, while the statue of Jesus stands on the fourth. The walls are covered withView of the Ruins of St. Paul bas-reliefs in various patterns like devils, angels, symbols of crucifixion, a Portuguese sailing ship, etc. The triangular combination of the upper three tiers reflects the Holy Trinity (the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit) as well as the Blessed Virgin Mary. A cross stands at the coping of the wall.

It is worth mentioning here that the stone lions at the sides of the third and fourth tiers are distinctively Chinese. There are also bas-reliefs in designs of chrysanthemum and cherry, as well as Chinese inscriptions. The Ruins of St. Paul has been restored during 1990 and 1995.

 

Ruins of St. Paul Tour

The Museum of Sacred Art and Crypt was also built in the same year of the restored of Ruins of St. Paul, which has exhibitions of religions artworks including paintings, sculptures and statues. So during the tour to Ruins of St. Paul, tourists could also look at the artworks in the museum.